Ghost Town, recorded at Full Moon Studio in Watkinsville, Ga., during 2006, features some of the top musicians in Athens.
"I tried to gather the best musicians I could round up in town," says Producer Fester Hagood, a Watkinsville native and veteran of the Athens music scene. "I tried to make the album ride the fence between mainstream Country and Americana. Some of the subject matter may be a little rough for the Nashville types, but not overboard."
The album is a showcase for Caroline's striking voice and Hagood's compelling songwriting. Hagood wrote or co-wrote nine of the 11 songs on the album. He co-wrote three of them with Caroline and her father, Atlanta writer Doug Monroe.
Two songs were written by Shayne Fair, a UGA graduate who was an early member of the Athens music scene in the late '60s, and is now a songwriter and producer in Laguna Beach, Calif.
Listen to some songs from Ghost Town:
The musicians on Ghost Town include:
- Sax, organ, piano: Randall Bramblett.
- Pedal steel: John Neff (Drive-By Truckers).
- Mandolin: Michael Paynter (Packway Handle Band).
- Guitars: Fester Hagood (King Cotton), Donald Spurlin (King Cotton), Charlie Garrett (Charlie Garrett Band) and Rick Fowler (Rack of Spam, Redneck GReece).
- Drums/percussion: Mark Cooper Smith (The Squalls).
- Bass: Jay Rodgers (AquaLove), Mike Steel (Randall Bramblett Band) and Greg Veale (Normaltown Flyers).
- Dobro: William Tonks (Barbara Cue and Redneck GReece).
- Cello: John Daniel Powers.
- Violin: Andy Carlson.
- Harmony vocals: Mikes Hines (Randall Bramblett Band), Susan Stanley (Solstice Sisters), Jay Rodgers (AquaLove) and Fester Hagood.
- Harmonica: Fester Hagood.